Thursday 15 August 2013

Dove survives after Sweep's clean swoop!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG? Sweep puts on the angelic face.
 This photo was taken some time ago, but he hasn't changed!
SWEEP, our speedy Spaniel, swept up on a slouch of a collared dove strutting about on the lawn early in the morning just as I was about to let the animals out and give them breakfast. The feathers were flying ... but not the bird. Fortunately, the Sweepster responded to anxious shouts from me and my wife and immediately dropped the dove. The true instincts of a gun dog.
Battered, dazed and probably in a state of shock, the bird hardly moved until I carefully picked it up, relieved that it was still alive. The bird soon stopped flapping and calmed down so I took it down the garden and placed it on the ground in a paddock next to a fence in the early morning sun.
When I carried my afternoon check on the menagerie I decided to see if our friend had survived. He was sitting on the fence, rather than on the ground, recognisable because he was minus a quite few tail feathers. Yet as I approached he deftly flew up to an overhead wire, showing no signs of his earlier encounter. These doves are a common sight, particularly in this part of the world, and make their nests in the strangest of places, and do not show the same fear of humans seen in other birds. And they certainly seem very hardy, especially in this lucky blighter's case. Strange to think, then, that before the 1950s they did not even breed in Britain.
English: Eurasian Collared Dove, Eurasian Coll...
COLLARED: A bird such as one of these was caught by Sweep. They are a very common sight ... even with a lively Sweep on the prowl                        Wikipedia
PS: The rain brings about some strange sights in the ornithological world. A group of wood pigeons were sitting on one of our fences, all lifting one wing up in the air so that the angled rain could get get to their bodies, presumably so they could have a bit of a freshen-up. Make sure you wash your armpits! Weird sight. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment