Tuesday 29 May 2012

Statler and Waldorf at the Fenland matinee

What do you think of the show so far? Rubbish
Don't look now, but I think we're being watched
This noisy pair have been waking us up very early this past week - around 5.15am - with their incessant screeching as they sit on our bedroom balcony rail waiting for their mum to feed them.
We've nicknamed them Statler and Waldorf because, even though they are not old characters, they seem to have plenty to say for themselves and boy, are they a raucous pair. They have made certain we have been waking up at such an ungodly hour amid a mini heatwave by shouting the odds from their vantage point - about three feet from our bed.
The conversation from their position overlooking our back garden might go something like:


Statler: Hey, I'm Statler
Waldorf: And I'm Wardorf. We're here to heckle everything we see while we wait for our food.
Statler: I like the view from up here [read on].
Waldorf: You're looking inside their bedroom.
Statler: That's what I like about it!
[They both laugh...and screech]
Sight for sore eyes: Edgar the Bug
Go to www.muppetcentral.com for genuine gags from the dynamic duo.
And we've had the door slightly ajar to let in cool air, which means there is no double glazing to act as a sound barrier. And what's more, the birds show not the slightest inclination of flying away even when a bleary-eyed human is standing right by them armed with an iPhone and taking photographs.
Actually, human is pushing it a bit, as my wife will vouch. I bear more than a passing resemblance to the brilliant Vincent D'Onofrio character, Edgar the Bug, from the original Men in Black film when I first wake up. I am almost incapable of speech and my movement is not exactly agile when I take those first few hesitant steps after rolling out of bed.
Have yet to see Men in  Black III, but the birds in our area have had a sneak preview.

Statler: Private screening?
Waldorf: They daren't show it in public!
       [Both laugh]

Surprisingly, despite the sight that greets them from inside our bedroom, the birds only move off when mother flies up and sticks something in their beaks. Sadly, she was too quick for me to grab a picture.
But once they've departed, at least we can lie back and enjoy what remains of the dawn chorus.
Happy daze.
Fenman@harrysrus is now on Twitter. How apt.


No comments:

Post a Comment