Sunday 15 April 2012

Night (and day) owls

Almost ran over a fox as I drove home following work late last night. Fortunately, I managed to take evasive action and swerve at the last minute, so old Reynard escaped an unfortunate end. Good for him. A barn owl also flew across the car's path, it's ghostly white wings captured in the beams of my headlights as I drove along a country lane near our village. A wonderful and very common sight in the Fens. Barn owls can often be seen in the day as well as the night, fluttering back and forth along the ditches before diving sharply, hunting for unsuspecting prey in the grassy embankments. Beautiful, fascinating birds. On a sad note, I have seen three dead badgers today, roadkill victims, it seems. Has the proposed national cull to beat TB in cattle already started in this area, I wonder? Poor old billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment